Concept Artist - Toronto
Mr. X is looking for a highly talented concept artist to work on a brand new project!
- Work closely with VFX Supervisors and the production team with establishing the visual style for production art
- Work with the VFX Supervisors to maintain consistent artistic style
- Create 2D designs and other production designs for assets
- Actively participate in artistic and technical problem-solving
- Be able to identify inefficiencies in the concept-to-production process and help formulate resolutions
- Produce a wide range of highly creative character, creature, hard surfaced and environment concept art
- Communicate clearly with artists and project supervisors
- Produce assets on schedule, meeting or exceeding team quality metrics
- Participate in meetings and discussions to ensure project goals are being met at a high quality.
- Create style frames/concepts and help gather reference material to bring clarity to the project’s visual direction.
- Minimum 4-5 years of film industry experience
- Excellent rendering and design skills with a demonstrated ability to adapt to established styles
- Understanding of fundamental illustration skills including composition, perspective, anatomy, draftsmanship, and color theory
- Digital illustration skills with an advanced understanding of Photoshop using a Cintiq or Wacom tablet
- Understanding of form, composition, and distribution and purpose of detail
- Industry leading understanding: of costume design throughout human history; of geography, geology, terrain, flora with an ability to render realistic environment concepts; of a variety of architectural styles throughout history with an application to architectural studies/concepts; of color theory, value structure, and lighting fundamentals with an application to both character and environment concept art; of material definition with an ability to render highly realistic materials as needed.
- Strong understanding: of modern matte painting techniques; of modern pop culture trends within the entertainment industry with an ability to successfully apply to concept art and product style.
- Self-managing - organized with good time management. Must be able to identify and meet goals.
- Portfolio must demonstrate your versatility
- Basic knowledge of 3D software as it pertains to the concept process is a plus
- Self-motivated with a positive attitude and a great team-player
- Exceptional communications skills, both oral and written
- A passion for film is a plus
- BA in art or related field or equivalent experience
Employment Type: Contract/Freelance
Mr. X Inc.
720 King Street West, 10th Floor
Toronto, ON M5V 2T3