The Animation Director is a rare and exciting position and this person must have exceptional VFX animation and character/creature skills as well as strong organizational, administrative, leadership and excel in communication clarity. The Animation Director will use their expertise to implement the Director's specific vision by working closely with the studio Supervisors, Production and Animation teams.
In order to achieve the highest quality possible within the parameters of production schedules and budgets, the Animation Director will need to supervise animation teams both technically and creatively, facilitate communication between all parties, be flexible, be able to multi-task, trouble-shoot, mentor, motivate and add creative value in all areas including development and design.
- Strive to create the most realistic motion possible.
- Act as the main point of contact for the animation team, interpret client notes and guide the animators to create and revise their animation accordingly.
- Ensure effective communication of motion and intent as derived from the client's specific shot direction.
- Creatively oversee all animation shots and give revisions as needed before showing in dailies.
- Ensure that all information is gathered, disseminated and remains a presence during the production flow.
- Assigning tasks that are appropriate to the animator's skills and experience.
- Manage performance and morale of assigned artists and to prepare reports as needed.
- Assist in reel reviews, participate in interviews for animators, and lead animators. Make recommendations on new hires.
- To achieve exceptional results while maintaining a balance between performance, schedules and budgetary requirements.
- Supervise and train new members of the animation team.
- 10+ years hands-on digital production experience.
- Possesses a broad creative skill set that encompasses all facets of a VFX animation production.
- 6+ years of a proven track record of successfully working in a supervisory capacity on several major productions.
- Strong understanding of both Facial and Figure Anatomy - biped, quadruped and winged.
- Strong artistic aptitude for creature and other types of physically based motion.
- Exercise a high level of focus and skill in a fast-paced production environment.
- The ability to support himself/herself and take initiative.
- Strong understanding of rigging.
- Excellent knowledge of Maya.
- Able to use Shotgun